In 1934, when the M.R. Hornibrook Company was building the Hornibrook Highway (now the Houghton Highway), the Directors of that Company thought that establishing a golf course at the northern end of the bridge, could be a feasible proposition. Accordingly they purchased 166 acres of what was mostly farming land.
In the early 1930’s Clontarf, with access only from Anzac Avenue, was the most remote area on the Redcliffe Peninsula. When the highway across Hayes Inlet was completed it brought about a remarkable change to Clontarf, which now became the front door to the Peninsula, and a great area for a golf course.
The land was first surveyed in 1864, and in 1866 Charles Kislingbury purchased 124 acres in the area for 124 pounds. Then a year later John Anderton bought 40 acres – also for one pound an acre. This land changed hands many times over the years, and a comparison of prices is interesting. That area purchased for 40 pounds in 1866, was sold to Robert Scott for 506 pounds in 1917. This piece of real estate changed hands on five more occasions, before it was part of the land purchased by Hornibrook in 1934.